Monday, September 2, 2013

Come To The Table ...

I was watching a movie titled, "Stolen Summer" the other night and there was a scene in which a little boy was caught stealing the communion elements.  When asked by the priest why he wanted them, the little boy explained:

"I have a friend who needs a piece of Jesus."
 
That statement took my breath away.  So many times I've found myself in a place where I've desperately needed a piece of Jesus. 
 
I grew up in a church where we were served the Lord's Supper on the first Sunday every month.  Other churches served it every week .. some every day.  As a child I never really understood the power of what we call "communion."  I always thought it was just a time to remember the great sacrifice that Jesus made for us and to be thankful.  And it is ....
 
               .... but it's so much more.
 
As we calm ourselves, meditate on God's great love for us, and step into His presence ... we find healing, peace, direction ... answers to our needs.  I've been in the Lord's presence many times ... but never as close as when I'm in a time of communion.
 
Over the years we have taken The Lord's Supper as a family.  Many times to strengthen relationships among ourselves, renewing our faith and commitment as a Christian family.  Other times when we found ourselves in a time of great need...
 
                                   ...times when we needed a piece of Jesus.
 
As I watched the movie, I was remembering the last time my sisters and I shared communion together.  A few months ago, our sister, Annette, had been battling a terminal illness for several years and, as we gathered around her bedside in the ICU of Dallas' Baylor Hospital, she needed a piece of Jesus.  We all did.  As we shared communion with her that day, we were surrounded by His presence, a cloud of peace and assurance that whatever form her miracle came in, it would be alright.  A few short weeks later Annette slipped away in her sleep.  Our hearts were broken but the peace that surrounded us during our special time of communion continues to carry us through the grief process.  There have been other times when I have simply needed to lay at His feet .. soak in His presence .. and be reminded of His unfailing grace and mercy. 
 
The communion table is always set.  It may not be in a church with the traditional sacraments.  It doesn't have to be.  We've used iced tea and Ritz crackers. We can come to the Table at any time, with whatever is on hand.  I've come to the Communion table at church, in hospitals, at home with my family, and alone in my prayer closet.  I've come when I wanted a special time of worship ... and in times of desperate need.  And each time I've found healing, peace, comfort, direction. 
 
Do you have a need?   Whatever it is ... you can come to the Table.  It's set and ready. Come boldly.  Come hungry.  Come expecting. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 



1 comment:

  1. You wrote it before I did....and much more beautifully than I could have. Brought tears to my eyes remembering! Love you so much!
    'lje

    ReplyDelete