Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Accidental Friends?

In my sister’s recent blog post the other day (Be Still And Know), she speaks of how wonderful it is to know that we are not alone, that God brings people together with certain gifts and anointings for just “such a time as this,” and uses each of us to meet the needs of others.  As I was reading that it reminded me of a children’s book by Dandi Mackall, “Made For A Purpose.”  The book is about a sad, lonely little girl who has been deeply hurt and disappointed and has shut herself away from the world, thinking she can be just fine by herself and has no need of friends.  She thinks she already knows what she wants to be when she grows up and just stays focused on that, keeping to herself. Through a series of “coincidences” she ends up meeting the need of a group of kids her age and, through their kindness and friendship, has her own need for love and acceptance met.  She discovers that she didn’t have to be alone, that God loved her and created her with a purpose.
                  It was God who had given her the dreams and ideas for her future.

There have been so many times when I’ve needed love, guidance, support .. and just when I didn’t know where to turn, someone came into my life who had just the right word, the right advice, a strong arm to hold me up when I needed it the most.

Accidental friendships …. or divine appointments?

I don’t want to always be on the receiving end of these appointments, do you?  As in my sister’s group of classmates, I want to be able to give as much, if not more, than I get.  There have been times when I knew I was the “giver.”  Other times … not so much.  But I have learned that we all have a contribution to make.  We can “bear one another’s burdens” and, have our own load lightened when we need it as well.  We’re not accidental friends … we were created and brought together for a purpose.
To love others and see their lives changed!
One thing I have learned is that God uses people to help people.  I believe in miracles ... but most miracles come in the form of someone fulfilling their purpose of reaching out and touching others. 
                            A box of groceries left on the front porch.
                            A nurse in the hospital hallway with a hug when the news is bad.
                            A Facebook “friend” with a word of encouragement.  
Someone needs a word … a prayer … a touch today.  You have that! I've discovered that when I'm reaching out to others with God’s love, I'm truly living life with Purpose and Joy!

2 comments:

  1. A great post, Deb! You have a way of always reaching out to others with God's love. I'm proud to know you, sis. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda .. you're so sweet! And I'm honored to have you as a divine appointment in my life! Hugs, Deb

      Delete