Friday, January 13, 2012

If God Gives You a Jackass ....



NOTE:  For the ladies who immediately thought of their husbands ... contact me and we can work on that.  That's another whole ball game all together.


The other day as I was doing some reading, I came across a quote that completely took me aback ... and I just haven't been able to shake it.  It's like getting a song stuck in your head and it won't go away. 
 “If you’ve been praying for a Cadillac and God gives you a jackass .. ride it.”  (Unknown)

I had to read it a couple of times to get the full impact. How many sermons have we heard on delighting ourselves in the Lord and then He'll give us the desires of our heart?   It's in the Bible, "Take delight in the LORD, and He will give you your heart's desires." (Ps. 37:4 NLT) ... and I believe every word of it. 

So how in the world did I end up with this jackass?
   

There have been so many times when I've prayed, wished, hoped, and prayed some more for something that just didn't happen, or work out the way I wanted ... and then later looked back and saw that what I got was exactly what I really needed.  My husband will tell you that I definitely have Cadillac taste.  But sometimes a Cadillac is just not the answer ....

... not really the desire of my heart.

Sometimes, the Cadillac is the desire of my head ... my imagination ... my mental image of success.   When I examined the true "desires of my heart" I found that what I really desire is protection from predators - spiritual as well as physical, a calm spirit when fear comes knocking on my door, strength and stability to navigate the rocky hillsides that the path of life often takes me through.  Stopping to consider the qualities of the American jackass I found that these are some of the very attributes that make this animal of great value to the livestock owner.  They are fierce protectors of livestock .. wolves, coyotes, dogs and snakes don't stand a chance against a jack or jenny standing guard in the pasture.  They have a strong calming effect on nervous horses in the barn at night.  And when the need arises to pack a load over steep or rocky passages ... where do we turn?  That's right.

I believe our Father answers every prayer ... He wants us to have all the good things in this life.  I believe in coming boldly before His throne as His children and making our petitions known.  But I have found that sometimes the answer to my prayer is not what I asked for ... but always what I need. 

So ... If you've been asking God for a Cadillac and He gives you a jackass ... ride it!







8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. It's a point I wish I'd understood a long time ago!
      Hugs,
      Deb

      Delete
  2. This is EXCELLENT! I absolutely love it and needed to be reminded ot it.
    Love you,
    'lje

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sis. We ALL need to be reminded of this from time to time. Reading that quote just really pulled me up short!
      Love you,
      Deb

      Delete
  3. Good word Debbi, I agree.

    Love you,
    Margie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sis ... we've ended up with a few of these JA's in our time, haven't we? LOL!
      Love you!
      Deb

      Delete
  4. Great post. Thanks for the food for thought!

    RJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, RJ. I read yours and enjoyed it as well. Blessings!
      Deb

      Delete