Thursday, November 22, 2012

Another Empty Chair

This will be my second holiday season since the deaths of my mother and aunt in a car accident, and I was not expecting to have yet another empty chair at our Thanksgiving table this year.  Just when I was beginning to settle into my new "normal" without them ... my sister, Annette, slipped away in her sleep a few days ago.  Wait!  We were supposed to be old ladies together ... and I'm the big sister ... I always go first. 

Not this time.

Through my tears and initial shock I'm left wondering how can I give thanks today?  But it doesn't take long for that list to form in my mind.

57 years of being the older sister and bossing her around
countless wonderful childhood memories 
a lifelong friend who prayed with and for me during life's ups and downs
a brother-in-love and nieces and nephews who have made my life richer

                         .... and the list goes on.

Is there an empty chair at your table today?  It may not be for a loved one who is no longer with us but possibly a dream that has faded ... a relationship that has been broken ... a financial hardship that seems impossible.  There are many things that could ruin this day of giving thanks for the many blessings God has poured out on us ... if we give them that power. 

The choice is ours.

I have decided to dry my tears ... I know there will be many more in the days to come ... hold my husband, children and grandchildren a little bit tighter, thanking God for every day I have them in my life, and spend the day being thankful for God's goodness, mercy and grace that is new and fresh every day.

Would I call Annette back because I miss her so terribly?   No .... she's dancing down the streets of Heaven ... pain free, healed and whole.  Instead, I will remember the blessing she was to all of those who knew and loved her.

Instead of focusing on the empty chair ... I'll turn my attention to the overflowing cup of grace that now sits on my table.
Goodbye Anne ... we'll see you again soon.

1 comment: