Saturday, December 1, 2012

The Grinch has struck again ...

... but Christmas is still the most wonderful time of the year!
 
When I was a child I loved this story and my kids and now their kids love watching this Christmas special each year about the people of Whoville whose Christmas trappings, trees, gifts and food were stolen by the Grinch who hated Christmas.  He was so sure he would stop Christmas from coming once and for all ....
 
 but it came just the same.        
 
I've seen the Grinch already this year.  Our family has been hit hard with nearly unbearable loss .... we've had deaths, heartbreak, financial setbacks ... all just as the holiday season begins to unfold once again.  Everywhere I turn I see the sooty footprints the Grinch has left as he crept through our lives stealing our happiness and peace of mind. 
 
At least ... that's what he thought he was doing.   But he's in for a surprise.  
 
Yesterday I wept as I placed flowers on the fresh grave of my younger sister, Annette.  Then turned and placed flowers on the graves of my mother and aunt who will be celebrating their second Christmas in the presence of the King this year.  Last night I received word of two more totally unexpected deaths in our extended family.  Today I spent time with my precious dad who could barely stay awake and couldn't talk to me.  More tears.   And yet..  the song is still there.


Shhhh...
Do you hear what I hear?
 
I hear music .. children practicing for their school & church Christmas pageants.  I hear laughter as they make their Christmas lists and color pictures of angels and wise men on camels.  I hear the tinkling bells of the Salvation Army volunteers collecting donations for the less fortunate in our area ... so I pull out a couple of bills to put in the kettle.

And the smile on my face finds its way to my heart. 
 
So much has been stolen from my family at the beginning of this Christmas season and yet we still have each other, steadfast friends and a deep, abiding faith in the true meaning of Christmas ... God's love personified in Jesus Christ, our Lord and Saviour. 
 
Yes, the Grinch has struck ... but my heart is still full of Christmas.  I've determined not to let the Grinch steal the joy .. the good will .. the song in my heart that comes with knowing that Christmas is more than lights, presents and long lines at the department store.  It's celebrating my personal relationship with the Saviour ... the Giver of Life ... the everlasting Prince of Peace.  
 
The tears may come again tomorrow but my heart will still sing
 
Joy to the World ... the Lord has come!


3 comments:

  1. Oh Debbie, you and your family has been hit very, very hard...and I know the Lord will be with during this Christmas season...prayers for you dear sister. Thank you for sharing your heart. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This brought tears to my eyes...but hopeful tears. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for you and your family, Debbie. This is beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing your heart with us.

    ReplyDelete