Saturday, February 2, 2013

Are There Holes In Your Socks?

Having been blessed with rather large, wide feet, I usually wear black nondescript shoes and try to keep everyone's attention focused on my hair and face. But I am a sock lover ... and I tend to wear them until they fall apart.   Such was the case not too long ago when I found myself at a social gathering where, during a team exercise, we were instructed to remove our shoes.
                             Oh dear ...

I was wearing my favorite socks.  The black ones with little pink hearts and tiny pink roses.

 The ones I'd had for nearly three years and
were completely threadbare with a hole in the
heel of one of them.  

At that moment, it didn't matter that I was actually wearing new shoes that were pretty cute.  I had to take them off and reveal to everyone in the room that there were holes in my socks.  Holes they would not otherwise have known were there.  Although the intent of this exercise was mainly for fun and breaking the ice with newcomers to the group, I came away with an awareness that there are many people who are hiding holes in their "socks."

Holes of loneliness ...  turmoil ... anxiety.
Holes of family problems ... financial worries ... illness.
Holes of addiction.

We can hide the holes in our socks with attractive, good shoes.  Being a loving parent, a good employee, a helper. "What can I do for you?"  How can I show you how good I am?

Like wearing a mask .. we hide the pain, the shame, the despair.  It's safer if no one sees the real me.   After all, Christians aren't supposed to have questions or fears .. doubts.   Are we?  Over the years I've learned that isolating and pretending to myself, to the world, and to God that everything is fine just wears me down until my soul .. like my socks .. is threadbare and in need of repair.  I've learned that it's OK to confide in a trusted friend or counselor. It's OK to be REAL.  I've learned to run to the Father with my fears, my failures, my heartbreak ... and in His presence I find the healing and peace that my soul so longs for.

  You will show me the way of life, granting me the joy of your presence
and the pleasures of living with you forever.
Psalm 16:11


We can put on our running shoes and run the 10K ... maybe even win the race.  But at the end of the day when we take off those shoes ... the holes in our socks are still there.  What holes are you covering up today?  Is it time to get real ...
 with yourself ...
          with others ...
                  with God? 


                
 Cause me to hear Your loving-kindness in the morning,
for on You do I lean and in You do I trust.
Cause me to know the way wherein I should walk,
for I lift up my inner self to You.
Psalm 143:8







 

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this, Deb!!!
    Great analogy and very thought provoking!
    'Lena

    ReplyDelete