Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Hello, my name is ...

The other day as I was driving through town a song came on the radio.  It began with these words,
"Hello, my name is Regret ... Hello, my name is Defeat." As I listened to the song, I thought of all the labels we pick up through the years.  Some we wear proudly.


Christian
loving spouse
homemaker
breadwinner
soccer mom
teacher
successful
energetic
 

Others, not so much ...

 
addict   
divorced
overweight
over the hill
failure
invisible
depressed
 
 
 
Some of these labels we have affixed to ourselves.  Others have been pinned on us by those we love, those we work with, those who think they know us, or maybe don't know us at all.   We don't like some of these labels and yet ...
 
                                                         we still wear them.
 
In my office, I would often hand my client a package of these labels and have them write on them all the words they would use to describe themselves as well as the words others had used for them.   Most of them would be covered with sticky "My Name Is" labels by the time they were through.  I even had one precious young lady ask for a second package of labels.  She had them on her arms, her neck, her face and in her hair when she finished.  I led her to a mirror and had her look at herself and asked her if she really wanted to be known by all of those "names."   She could barely see for all the labels covering her beautiful face.  Some of the words already beginning to run as her tears flowed. 
  
I gave her a few minutes then asked her to begin removing the labels she no longer wanted to wear.  In a few minutes she only had two or three labels she had decided to keep.  I handed her one more label and asked her to write on it one word she thought God would use to describe her.  It only took a minute for her to write out the word "princess."   Yes!  This young woman had begun to realize that as a child of the King she was definitely royalty.  
 
What are some of the labels you're wearing?
Who put them there ... you or someone else?
Are there labels that you're tired of wearing?
 
We each have the power to choose the labels we want to be known by.  Don't let someone else define who you are.  We don't have to be known by our birthdate or the number on our bathroom scales.  We don't have to become simply the sum of our missteps or bad choices.   
 
Sometimes, even the good labels can become burdensome if we're wearing too many ... or the wrong ones.  Is your family missing you because you're involved in too many community or church activities?   Are you coaching soccer practice when you'd rather be teaching piano?  

Why not take a few minutes and examine the labels that have been assigned to you ... and start peeling off the ones you no longer want to wear.  Some come off easily ... others may leave a sticky residue or little pieces that have to be scraped off with some effort.  But we are free to choose the labels we will be known by. And in the end ... the only labels that really matter are the ones applied by our Maker ...

Redeemed ... Forgiven ... Worthy ... Precious ... Loved

We have the power to become everything God created us to be .. to fulfill our destiny ... and live our lives with purpose and joy!
 


  I've been saved
I've been changed
I have been set free!
Amazing Grace is the song I sing.
Hello, my name is Child of the One True King!
 

Click here to listen to the song, "Hello, My Name Is" by Matthew West.

3 comments:

  1. Love this! I just recently heard this song for the first time. It's amazing!
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tears. I just heard this song for the first time this weekend. I listened to it the whole way through for the first time today, in a moment where I desperately needed some "Goo Gone" to remove the residue from all those awful labels that I've been wearing. Thanks for sharing your blog post with me. :-)

    ReplyDelete