Sunday, April 14, 2013

It's Not In The Well

There's an old country song that bemoans the fact that the singer has been "looking for love in all the wrong places."   I'm not particularly a fan of that song but I hear it from time to time and the last time it came on the radio it got me to wondering what else we could be looking for in the wrong places.  How many times have we looked to others for validation ... searched for solace and comfort in a bottle ... looked in the mirror to measure our self-worth?   Where do we go when we're looking for some much-needed peace and relief from the turmoil or consequences of our own or someone else's bad choices?

In the Bible we read the familiar story of Jesus meeting a Samaritan woman at a water well.  She had come to draw water ... where else would you look if you needed water in those days?   But Jesus knew she was longing for something more ... and He had just what she needed. (John 4:6-30)
But it wasn't in the well!
I've learned that many times the most obvious place is the "wrong place."   Multiple relationships won't fill the need for love.  Praise and acknowledgement, although nice to have, aren't what we need for a healthy self-esteem.  Plenty of money in the bank only gives a false sense of security ... it could all disappear in the blink of an eye.   Shopping, gambling, collecting (a.k.a. hoarding), eating, drinking, surrounding ourselves with "things" or people ... in excess ... are all some of the "wrong places" we can find ourselves looking for what God is holding out to us as a free gift.  I'm learning to look to Him first ... and when I do, I save myself so much heartache, disappointment and distress. 
What are the needs in your life today?   I  don't want to keep running like so many do in search of what I think will quench the thirst of my heart  ... only to die by the well having never tasted the life-giving water that renews my mind, refreshes my soul and strengthens my spirit. 
Just like that day in Samaria, Jesus is still sitting by the well with everything we need to go out and live our lives with purpose and joy!   
      What we're looking for is not in the well!

No comments:

Post a Comment